Friday, March 2, 2012

What are you afraid of?

I am afraid of many things.
The dark.
Being by myself.
Something happening to the kids or Rob.

But my biggest fear is Tornadoes.

Ever since I was a little kid I have been afraid of them. I can remember hiding in the basement while my dad when stand outside and watch the storms come in.

Every April panic begins to set in. A usual day for me in the spring looks something like this:
I watch the weather every morning and if they are predicting storms I watch most of the day.
As it gets closer to the time when the storms will be hitting us I get super panicked. So much so that I put bike helmets, flashlights, candles, a radio, blankets, and a small mattress in the bathroom. (Most of the time I am in there too!)
About 90% of the time the storms weaken when they get to us.
This happens multiple times during tornado season.

It is not even the middle of March and we are dealing with warnings today. I have been telling myself all day not to panic. For the most part I have been okay. You see last May, I was out to dinner with some friends and we had a tornado warning with serious hail. I keep thinking, if I survived that then I will be okay.

It is now that time for the storms to hammer down on us and guess what? They have weakened. So most of the day I have spent worrying and preparing for a tornado. (I am laughing at my self as I type this.)

I know the Lord will protect me.
I know no matter what happens he will be with me.
I know that Satan loves to distract me and cause me to worry.

I need to overcome my fears and give them wholly to the Lord.

So tell me...what are you afraid of? How do you deal with them?

No comments: