Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My Greatest Love Story

We are coming up on the last couple weeks of my "Greatest Love Story" series. It has been so encouraging to me to read how each person has come to a relationship with the Lord and to see how He has worked in everyone's lives differently. It just proves we serve a God who loves us individually. Today I get to share Candice's story with you. I have only known Candice for about a year and a half. She has become a great friend and I have loved getting to know her and watch the Lord work through and in her. She excepted the Lord, I think, about 3 years ago. When I first met her I thought she had known Him her entire life. She, clearly, jumped into a relationship with Him with both feet! Here is her story:

I came to know the Lord when I was twenty one. However, since accepting Christ into my life, I see Him at work much much earlier than when I actually acknowledged and accepted a relationship with Him. I was raised Lutheran, in what would be considered a “normal, American Christian” home. My father was catholic, my mother was Lutheran, and both were not (and are not) believers. I went to church every week because it was the right thing to do. I thought I was a good person—going to church, being nice, doing good for others. It never really occurred to me that there was something much deeper! Now looking back, I can see God at work in me as young as twelve (all though we all know He was working from the very beginning), through various life situations and experiences. It wasn’t until college that I truly began to understand that I could actually share a personal relationship with Christ—communing with Him, loving Him, living my whole life for Him. I began a bible study as a freshman. Two godly girls came to my door one day to invite my sister and I to a bible study they were hosting together. I don’t know why I agreed, but I did, and I will be forever thankful. This bible study was real, these girls were real. I
had never been around such real, godly people, which such a love and obedience towards their Savior. I envied the peace and joy they had and couldn’t determine exactly where it came from. Our relationship grew closer throughout time. I continued to attend bible study each week, and just listened. I didn’t know it at the time, but God was breaking my heart and my life for Him. As that year continued on, my sister (who was also not a believer, but growing just as
I was) introduced me to the Baptist campus ministry, where I attended worship each week, and grew with some of the greatest friends I have today. They had this joy in them too that I couldn’t understand, but I wanted it. I wanted to know more. Unlike many others, my acceptance of Christ did not occur immediately, and to this day I don’t know why. All I know is God’s time is
perfect. He is never early, and never late, but always on time. And for me, He was right on time. Looking back, I wish I would have known Him much sooner to have been able to love Him and live for Him longer. All though the majority of my friends in college were believers, and my sister was now also a believer, I still strayed with those who were not of good influence. It was almost as if I were living two lives. I wanted Christ so bad, and convinced myself so many times that I was saved, but that wasn’t even close to the truth. I had to choose which life I wanted, and never could seem to. As a sophomore, I studied abroad for a semester. I fell apart. I made poor decisions carelessly, and didn’t seem to care about the consequences they would hold. I thought, ‘I’m in
a new country, with new people. I can be whoever I want…someone new.’ Many nights before I fell asleep, I would see my bible setting on the table next to me, and never opened it. I knew God would reveal my sin and convict me of my wrong, so I continued to run from Him. This was so wrong! My friends at home stood close to me, and when I returned home they welcomed me with open arms. Once arriving home, surrounded by all of my believing friends, God made it clear He
was not going to let me go easy. He fought for me endlessly, and I could feel it. My sin was made known all of the time through much conviction. At the time I was in a relationship with an unbeliever. One day one of the girls from that same bible study long ago, sat me down and asked “Is he a believer?” I responded “no”. Immediately with no hesitation she said, “Then you don’t need to be with him”. That phrase sang in my head for the next many long months. Through
my continued poor decisions and poor relationship, my Savior longed for me, and begged me to repent and come to Him. At this time in my life, God felt closer than He ever has. He was fighting hard for me. Each day was a constant fight—my sinful flesh wanted to continue in that life (with my friends, parties, my boyfriend), but my heart longed for peace, and true joy. For the longest time of trying to be so many different people, I was miserable. This continued for what seemed like forever, when one night God broke me. I was stuck. I couldn’t make any decisions anymore because I wasn’t being real. I didn’t even know who I was. Down on my knees I went crying. I was crying out of frustration, stress, anxiety, confusion, and desperate need. I cried out for God to help me. He was so near. As I calmed down, I went to bed. For the next few weeks God was just
as near, and life was getting better. After much prayer, He revealed my need for Him, and my need to be baptized. That October I was baptized. My parents, not being believers disagreed and couldn’t understand. That was a great fight, but what my Savior asks of me I do. I wanted to start being obedient immediately. I wanted my life to be all His. In time, I removed myself from my
old “friends” who were not of good influence, and from my old life. I continued to study the word, and grew more and more each day. Today, I have been a believer for almost three years and I
will never look back. Life hasn’t always been easy since, but I wouldn’t change the life I have now for anything. I am currently preparing for my wedding to a very godly, loving man, and ask God everyday to create in me the best servant for Him. My sister, brother-in-law, myself, and my fiancĂ© are still the only believers in my family, which means each day is a mission for our family to know Him. All though she wasn’t mentioned much in my testimony, my sister was in, around, and behind it all. My sister loved me through my wrongs, encouraged me to be better, was a daily witness to me, stood for her Savior even when I wasn’t a believer and couldn’t understand, and lived each day for the One that matters the most. To the believers reading this, be that to those who don’t know Christ and need Him and need you. Continue to love, encourage, and witness at every opportunity.

(Candice and her fiance, Ryan)

Thanks so much Candice for sharing! I am so excited for this next season of you life! I know you trust the Lord and he has great things for you!

No comments: