Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The grocery is now my friend

Less than a mile from my house we just got a brand new grocery store. It is the same store I have shopped at pretty much my entire life, but they rebuilt an enormous one. (Right next to the old one.)

It is huge.

It is beautiful.

It has some amazing food.

It has Starbucks right when you walk in...with the nicest workers.

It is actually not to confusing.

Up until about a month ago the grocery has been my nemesis.
I love being a stay at home mom. I don't mind cleaning, doing laundry, cooking.
But...I HATE the grocery.

Everything that goes with it:
meal planning
clipping coupons
the actually shopping

I have often said I would love to pay someone to do my shopping for me. I hate it so much, that I would reward myself at the end with a candy bar. (What is wrong with me? I am addicted to food, thats what. That is a post for another day.)

This new grocery store has changed my perspective. When they were first getting ready to open I was kind of dreading it. I kept thinking...

it is going to take me longer
I am going to spend more money
This is going to be awful.

I am happy to report, the opposite is true. It only takes me about 30-45 minutes. I have actually spent less money (I am still scratching my head at this one.) And I kind of look forward to going. Carys even likes going with me. They have these little kid carts that she loves pushing. She brings her baby and purse and puts the things she likes in her cart. (I am still trying to figure out how to get her to pay for those things too!!!!)

If you are the one in your family that does the grocery shopping, I encourage to enjoy it. It has to get done, right? So you might as well make the most of it. If you are local, join me at our new store. You will love it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think the thing that I hate most about grocery shopping was waiting and anticipation of what the final bill was going to be. How much did I spend this time? Do I have enough in the checking account to pay for it? Enough already. Time to change! Recently, I just started to set a dollar amount for groceries and I take a calculator to the store with me. As the item goes into the cart, I add it up on the calculator and then stop shopping when I hit my budget. It really has made me rethink the stuff that I thought was necessity.