Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where were you?

My grandparents remember every detail of where they were when they heard the news of Pearl Harbor, along with many others.

My parents remember every detail of where they were when they heard the news of John F. Kennedy, along with many others.

I remember every detail of where I was was when I heard the news of September 11, 2001...

I was 20 years old, been married about 9 months, and was at a job I had started a month earlier. I sat at the front desk of an insurance office and answered phones. I picked up the phone, just like every other morning and heard an upset woman wanting to talk to her husband, one of the agents. Soon after he came out of his office and told us what had happened. Immediately we turned on the small black and white tv and watched with horror. I called Rob, who was working at home, and told him to turn on the tv. I just wanted to be home with him, sitting with him. I couldn't though, I had to stay at work. I still had to answer the phone of clients calling with questions who did not know what was going on. I remember trying to get a hold of my mom who lived in Alabama and worked on a military base. It took me a couple tries and I remember panicking. When she finally answered the phone I starting crying. I just wanted to hug her. Soon after the second plane hit the office phones went silent. It was eerie. Here I was in at a place with people I hardly knew. I just wanted to go home. We, like everyone else, were glued to the tv all day.
I can still feel...
the pain.
the sadness.
the fear.
I remember going to church that night and embracing my sister with a hug and tears. I remember my boss and his son leaving 2 days lady to go to New York and help. I remember watching the sky for planes. I remember not wanting to go outside. I remember so much.

Here are a few more of your stories...

I had just gotten to work, (I worked at Fairhaven Church) and someone came in and said that the World Trade Center had just been hit. We all gathered to watch on the television what was happening. We saw the 2nd tower get hit, and then we got word that the pentagon had also been hit. We knew that this was bad and they told us that if we needed/wanted to go home, we should. I left and went home. I was alone and I remember thinking, "What if this is it? What if we are all under attack and I die today?" I just wanted to be with my family. I decided to go to my parents house and we all sat together the entire day/evening watching the news coverage. I had always felt like The USA was so safe, that no one could ever touch us. that day, I learned that wasn't true. For me, it was a HUGE reminder that the only for sure thing, is Christ. I am safe in Him, and that is the only guarantee I have.
- Ricki

I was attending Indiana Wesleyan University and was in my English Lit class when someone mentioned that a plane flew into one of the towers. We didn't know much else at the time. When I got back to my room, my roommate had the tv on and was bawling. We couldn't believe it. We were from Northern Virginia and knew MANY people that worked in the pentagon. I got a phone call from my Dad and he told me I wasn't allowed to leave my room. {He worked for the USAF} So as the rest of the campus went about their day since they didn't really "feel" how serious it was, I was in my room - praying - and shocked at the horror. I won't ever forget that day. It still aches my heart when I see what happened.
- Michelle

I was just back to our east house after a walk. I had to work that day was so scared. I found out though I was preggers about 1 month after and it brought comfort and makes me think Kyler was one of the baby boomers after the tragedy!!!
- Kelly

I was feeding Olivia breakfast in her high chair watching good morning America when the horrible news broke in.... I could see the horrible look on Matt Lauers and Katie Courics faces. So scary. Buckled Olivia in the car and went to pick up Jaclyn at preschool right away. I will never forget that day. Surreal. When I heard the sonic boom that evening, I thought that was the end. My heart goes out to anyone who was affected by this horrible day.
-Sandy

I was one month away from my due date with Sam (our second)... Brian was letting me sleep in b/c I was exhausted with having a 2 yr old and then being so prego. He was feeding Noah breakfast when the first plane hit.. I got up and he just told me about what had happened. He was very nonchalant about it b/c at that time all the news anchors were too... just an accident, etc? So I was curious, but not too worried. Then he hurried off to work (before the 2nd plane hit). I kept the news on and while I think Katie Curic was talking, you could see the 2nd plane hit in the background... my heart sank. I knew at that point something was not right. Then all the other attacks starting happening. I was on the phone most of the day talking to my mom, friends, Brian. It was very emotional for me regardless of my hormonal state. I kept thinking, what kind of world are my babies going to grow up in? That day there were so many emotions as to what else would happen... such a feeling of vulnerability.
-Jenna

I was teaching at Miamisburg High School at the time. The principal announced over the loud speaker that the first Trade Center Building had been hit. All the teachers turned on our classroom tvs and watched the day unfold. It was shocking and hard to understand as more and more was reported.
-Jan


Pearl Harbor, JFK, WWI and WWII are stories my generation learned about in History class. Stories we have watched on tv and heard people talk about. To my grandparents, parents aunts and uncles they are connected to those events September 11 is a part of us. Even writing the date in my journal this morning at church brought tears to my eyes. It is a day that I will never forget.

No comments: