Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thankful Thursday {My friend Lisa}

Lisa was Broderick's Kindergarten teacher last year. The first time I met her and helped in her class I knew I could be her friend. But more importantly, I wanted to pray for her and impact her life for the Lord. I can't even believe what God has done in her life, in my life and in our friendship over the past year! Rewind to about a year and a half ago...

Broderick got his teacher assignment and we found out that another family from our house church was in the same class, Ricki! (Me thinking, "Okay God, this is amazing! Out of 700 students we have 2 families from our house church in the same class. You are up to something.) I started praying for Lisa ans her class and her school year, but also for her salvation and relationship with God. I also began volunteering as soon as the school year started. After I started to talk to Lisa more I would joke, with some of you, about how we were going to be friends. She has a log home and I kept saying, "I am going to go to her house someday. I really want to see it!" You all would laugh at me. I mean really, it was a funny idea. How many people become friends with their children's teachers? So the year got off to a good start. I helped out a couple times a month and would do little things for Lisa. Bring her a drink in the morning when I came. It also just so happened that I was scheduled to help in her room on her birthday, so I made treats to share with the class. (I don't share this to say look at me, just to show how little deposits go a LONG way. When you think something may not make a difference. It may actually make a HUGE difference!) Let me also say that on several occasions Lisa would say to me, "In over 10 years of teaching, this is the hardest class I have ever had!" So I amped up the prayer. The night of our spring conference Rob and I sat outside her room for about 30 past our scheduled time. Lisa was meeting with Ricki and her husband, from our house church. When they left and we started our conference Lisa started crying. She began to share that the conference before Ricki's was terrible. The parents got very angry at her and really made her upset. Really, God just so arranged it that after her terrible conference Ricki had theirs and then we had ours...Really!? I couldn't believe. Again, I thought, "God you are up to something."
The year was coming to an end and I was getting upset. I mean, really upset. I didn't want to loose connection to Lisa. I told her I would help in her class next year! (I know, I was a little obsessed!) About the last week of school she said she wanted to get together over the summer. WHAT!? I was so glad...we were really going to be friends! So, it began!
Fast forward to winter break 2010: Lisa and I got together for breakfast. She began to share with me some difficult things going on in her life. I really felt the Lord prompting me to share with her I became a Christian. So I did. I thought, she might not want to be my friend after this, but God, I know you have been working here. I shared many things with her that day and was very honest with her. She said, "I know where you stand and that is why I wanted to talk to you." (Just writing that brings tears to my eyes.) Remember those little things I did, she saw them for more...she saw Jesus. That was the whole point! I invited Lisa to our church and to house church. She came and has been coming since! She is still going through the same difficult things in her life, but she is pursuing the Lord through them. So not only is this all amazing but...
Her husband, who has never really been to church, EVER, is starting to reach out to the Lord too! Over the past weekend he went to the men's conference with Rob and a couple of the guys from house church. He had never met any of them, never been to our church and he went to the conference. Friday, met them for breakfast Saturday and went to the conference Saturday!
I can not tell you how much joy this brings me! I love to see God do amazing things and move in people!

Today I am thankful for the way God is working in Lisa's life and what he is and has taught me through this friendship!

No comments: