Monday, March 25, 2013

Today, I survived.

The phone rang at midnight last night and I jumped up from a dead sleep.  I expected it to be Rob.  What I did not expect was what he said, "Hi hun.  I don't want you to worry but..."  Did he remember who he was calling?  Worry is what I do.  He continued, "We are on our way to Kenya and we got a flat tire.  The driver only has a spare and we have to make it 2 hours on the spare.  So I really need you to pray."  So, I texted Diana and then began to pray and read my Bible for the next two hours.  I was so worried.  I kept picturing Rob and Bret stranded on the side of a Uganda road either dying of dehydration or a wild animal eating them alive.  Yup...worst case scenario.  That is where I go.  I drifted off to sleep somewhere around 2 something.  Woke up about 3 or 4, after a very bizarre dream, and began to pray and read again.  Drifted back to sleep sometime to be awoken again by my phone buzzing around 6 am.  This time it was good news from Diana, "Just got a text from Bret and they have met up with Daniel our driver and Pastor Benson and are now in Kenya."   Come to find out she hadn't recieved my orginal text but kept waking through the night with an urge to pray.  Then she finally got up at 5:00am and find out why that was.  I feel like she was waking up to pray as I was drifting into sleep.  Hallelujah!  I praised the Lord a little and went to sleep until around 7 when Broderick came into my room to wake me up so we could get ready for school.  What he didn't know was that school was cancelled the night before due to snow.  So without even opening my eyes I said, "Go back to bed, school is closed."  I drifted in and out of sleep until about 8:30. 

What I am saying, is this...I slept for roughly 3-4 hours last night.  I was a walking zombie today.  Pretty much it was an anything goes kind of day!  Thankfully my friend Carrie, who is a teacher had a snow day to so we went and hung out with them for awhile.  Then we had plans to go to Diana's for dinner, which was perfect! The funniest thing was, I showed up wearing my Equip1 shirt and she had hers on too.  (Equip1 is their non profit organization that Rob and Bret are currently in Africa for.)  So, naturally I had to get a picture of us. 

  This woman...oh this woman.  I can't even begin to tell you how special she is to me.  When I worked at our church in the children's department she was the director.  My kids were very small and everyday I came into church she was able to talk me off of whatever ledge I was on that day.  And know to be part of their African journey and them be a part of ours is serioulsy so awesome.  I have always considered her to be my mentor.  Her daughter, Liz, is our babysitter (the best there is) and now our husbands are forming a forever bond.  They are such a great family.  I was so happy to spend the evening with them.  We could seriously talk for days.  Days...no lie!

All that to say that when I woke up this morning I honestly thought, "Okay, today is the day I will reach the end of my rope."  But just like the days before, the Lord knew exactly what I would need and provided.  Because that is the kind of God He is.

No comments: