Thursday, March 12, 2015

Steadfast

A lot of people at the beginning of the year have a word that they focus on for the year.  It's kind of like the new trendy thing...instead of a new year's resolution you pick a word.  I never intended to do this.  I didn't really see the point in just picking a word.  However, studying the Bible these past couple months and memorizing scripture I feel God continually highlighting a word.  When I am reading His word it jumps off the page at me.  Or when I am listening to a song it's louder than all the other words.  Steadfast.  The Bible continually talks about God's steadfast love, and that He is our only steadfast.  Seems catchy, right.  That's what I thought at first..."cool word, not really one we use a lot these days." Then is kept showing up.  So I looked up it's meaning.

Steadfast: Resolutely or dutifully firm and unwavering.

Good definition. Seems like a good way to describe God and His love for us.  But what I really love are the synonyms...

loyal, faithful, committed, devoted, dedicated, dependable, reliable, constant, solid

That is how God describes His love for us committed, dependable, constant.  And then asks us to be steadfast in return...dedicated, devoted, faithful.

There are times in this journey I am on with the Lord I do not feel like being steadfast.  It's hard.  He asks me to do things that I really don't want to do.  He calls me places I don't want to go.  He sheds light on the dark places of my heart and asks me to change to look more like Him.  All these things can become very wearisome.  But then...I remember, STEADFAST. 



"By day the Lord commands His steadfast love and at night His song is with me.  A prayer to the God of my life." Psalm 42:8

"But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation." Psalm 13:5

"For your steadfast love is before my eyes, and I walk in your faithfulness." Psalm 26:3

"He will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast because they trust in Him." Isaiah 26:3

"Create in me a clean heart God and renew a steadfast spirit within me." Psalm 51:10

"And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast." 1 Peter 5:10

I can't be steadfast and do this life on my own.  I must keep my eyes on Him.  He is the one that is steadfast.

PS. We take our first malaria pill today.  Do you know what that means!? We leave in 1 WEEK!!!!

No comments: