Monday, March 23, 2015

Here We Go Again


After 24 hours of air travel, a night in a hotel with almost zero sleep, and a full day of road travel we made it to Mbale.  That trip is long and hard...but the second I see those beautiful brown faces and squeeze those precious hands it is all worth it. 


We spent Sunday, our first day at Ebenezer, doing church with them and visiting with the children, George and Sylvia.  Church was amazing...as always.  There is nothing like African church.  I love when they sing and worship.  It is nothing short of joyful!  They sing and clap and dance and laugh.  They worship with no abandon.  Beautiful.  And...I had a precious 4 year old boy fall asleep on me during the preaching.  Makes my heart happy! 



After church we sat under a shade tree (it was freaking HOT!) while the children sat on our laps, held our hands and stared at us.  Later in the day we taught them "Ring Around the Rosie" and "Duck, duck, goose."  They loved it....they just laughed and laughed.  They caught on very quickly to the games and just wanted to keep playing them.  I showed them pictures on my phone of our life back home.  I would show one child and the rest of them would say, "Now do me Aunt Amy, now do me!" 



Carys was reunited with Moses, which was such a blessing.  He saw her and was a little shy at first, but then just grinned!  Such a sweet, sweet moment.


Broderick has been enjoying playing with the little boys and the baby girls.  He is so sweet to them.


Today was another full day of visiting the school, singing and dancing with the children.  We went into Kibuku town for a few minutes and met some of the children that live there.  George told us they have never seen mzungu (white) children before.  We gave them some of the snacks we had which they really liked.

Rob and I are learning this trip (and leading up to this trip) to ask a lot of questions and learn more about the culture here.  Our driver is great to talk to these things about.  We ask him about families, jobs, government, food, and a bunch of "dumb American questions".  He gets a good laugh out of us!

I am try to spend time each day with at least one of the women.  Yesterday I met Ester...she is a student at Suubi Works (go to the link and check out what they do...Amazing!) and she is learning Tailoring.  She is a sweet young woman doing her best to make a better life for herself and children.  Today I met Christine...she is the cook for the Ebenezer school.  She has twin boys, 7, and lives in the village by Ebenezer.  I sat with her and shelled G- nuts (peanuts) and asked her questions.  She told me she loves Mountain Dew...HA!  I can't wait to bring her one...she can drink Mountain Dew and I will drink Novida and we will learn about each other.


A few things I want to share with you all...mom and dad, don't freak out!  I have shared with you all before that a lot of times I operate out of fear.  Our first trip here I wouldn't even get out of the van in town or shop in the market.  This trip I have already, gone into the grocery store once by myself and once just me and the kids, and I walked from the school back to the orphanage by myself!  HUGE milestone people.  God has done an enormous work on  me in the department of fear.  Still to come...another boda (motorcycle) ride through the Ugandan bush!

I am going to be honest with you all...the first couple days here were a little confusing.  I kept thinking, "why am I here?  Why are we doing this again? What is the point?"  I felt in over my head. Today, it all began to make sense.  I came home this evening and remembered my best friend (she gets here tomorrow!  I can not wait!) had given me a card to open today so I opened it.  By the grace of  God it was exactly what I needed.  All it said was...

Further and further my heart moves away from the shore
Whatever it looks like, whatever may come I am yours
Then you crash over me and I've lost control but I am free
I'm going under
I'm in over my head
And you crash over me,
I'm where you want me to be
I'm going under,
I'm in over my head
Whether I sink, whether I swim
It makes no difference when I'm
Beautifully in over my head.

It brought tears to my eyes.  I thought...Yes! that is it!  I started the first few days feeling in over my head, but today I feel beautifully in over my head.  I will spend the rest of my days here allowing Him to lead me further and further away from the shore, letting Him crash over me and be beautifully in over my head.

No comments: