Thursday, September 26, 2013

Prayer...Do You Take It Seriously?

Think about that question.

There are over 300 verses in the Bible about prayer.  If it is in the Bible that many times, I think it is pretty serious and crucial to our relationship with the Lord.

I heard on the radio today that it is the one year anniversary of the arrest of Saeed Abedini.  If you haven't heard of this man, he was in Iran visiting family and doing some work on an orphanage.  He was arrested because of his Christian faith.  He has been sentenced to 8 years in prison.  This is not eight years in an American prison...this is eight years in an Iranian prison.  He has a wife and two children here in the states.  The story of Saeed make me think of Peter in Acts 12.  Peter too was in a prison for his Christian faith.  We read in Acts 12:5, "So Peter was kept in prison, but earnest prayer for him was made to God by the church."   Have you read this story?  Do you know what happens? Well, if not, let me tell you what happens.  God sends an angel to release him from prison!!!  Now I am sure if you don't believe the Bible this seems ludicrous.  I do believe the Bible and even I, have doubts when I read this.  Do I believe God sent an angel to release Peter because the church was praying for him?  Yes.  Okay, so if I do, why am I not earnestly praying for the release of Saeed?  Do I believe God is the same yesterday, today and forever?  Yes.  Then he can release Saeed the same way he released Peter.

I don't know about you, but I need to be on my knees in earnest prayer every.single.day.  I encourage all you to take drop what you are doing.  Take sometime and just pray.  Talk to the Lord.  About whatever...just talk to Him. 

Our church is doing a serious, starting this weekend about prayer.  I am so excited because I know my prayer life needs to grow.  If you are not in the area and would like to listen you can go here.

Let's be a people that prays.

No comments: