Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Post Where I Get REAL Honest

You might know this about me, and I am sure I have posted about it before, but I am what some would call a worry-wart. 

I have always known this about myself, but it became very evident on vacation.  I found myself sitting on the beach, trying to relax, but this is what was going on in my head:

Broderick is going out in the waves to far.
What if he gets stung by a jellyfish...or worse, bitten by a shark.
Now Carys is getting out to far.
"Rob, they are out way to far.  Tell them to come back."
They are going to get sun burnt.  I need to put more sunscreen on them...and me!
What if we get bed bugs!?
Those clouds look awfully dark.  We should probably get out of the water.
I don't know if we should eat at this restaurant.  What if Rob has an allergic reaction?
What if the kids have an allergic reaction?
And on, and on, and on it went.

No lie!

On the way home I told Rob that I realized I really can't relax.  Even if there is nothing to worry about, I create something.

I almost had myself convinced last weekend that I had West Nile Virus or Cancer.  (Turns out it is a cold!) 

I am sure you are laughing, because this all seems comical.  But it is a real life struggle for me.  I have no doubt I could walk into my doctor's office and get some meds.  The trouble is...I don't actually need meds.  My problem is a faith, or lack of faith.

Yesterday the kids devotion was this:

"But seek first His Kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well."
Luke 12:31

(Then it goes on to say, from the prospective of Jesus)
You may not notice me because your mind is tied up with other things.  Like worry.  A lot of people believe that worry is just a part of life. But they are wrong.  Worry is actually a kind of unbelief.  Worrying says you don't believe I am big enough to take care of whatever it is that upsets you so much.  Worrying is says you think I need your help.
Wrong!  I am big enough.  I am strong enough.  I love you enough.  Bring your problems to Me.  You can trust Me to take care of you - and whatever you are worrying about!

I closed that book and thought WOW!  Nothing like hitting me smack in the middle of the eyes...and heart.  So my journey begins of daily confessing my sin to the Lord and trusting that He is BIG enough!



No comments: