Monday, February 14, 2011

My Valentine

I have had the wonderful privilege of calling this AMAZING man my Valentine for 11 years. We got engaged on February 12, 2000.

Here's how:

He used to lead worship at our old church, so on Saturday night (the 12th) he told me he had to go set up his guitar for Sunday morning. We went to church and he set up. Then he asked me to come sit down. I did not expecting anything. He started to play a song, that he wrote. Unfortunately, he didn't keep a copy of it so neither one of us remembers much of it. The last line was, "Amy will you marry me?" I was so surprised my response was, "are you serious?" Nice, huh!? Of course I said yes and he put the most beautiful ring on my finger. 10 months later we were married at the same church.
I know I just posted about 8 weeks ago how much I love this man and all the reasons why, but I am going to again. He is hard-working, fun, good looking, funny, motivated, ambitious, loves God and tries to more each day, is very self-aware, handsome, loves spending time with me and the kids, respectful, helpful, kind, supportive, a great listener, hot, & all mine!
I will also tell you why I like and dislike Valentine's Day.

Here's why I like it:

I get to make all kinds of fun things. Like these and these.
Also these. I admit, I am no Little Miss Momma or Bakerella, but these things were so fun to make!
I love, love, love wearing and dressing Carys and Broderick in fun shirts, dresses and hair bows for fun holidays. (Broderick won't wear them anymore, but I try.)
This year all of us made "mailboxes" and left notes for each other throughout the month. The kids loved it...so did I, I will admit. I got this idea from a friends blog and it was a great one.
And finally, any excuse to eat cookies, candy and cupcakes is worth a holiday to me.

Here's why I don't like it:

I think sometimes it is an easy out for husbands and wives to not do special things for there spouse on other days. We should be showing each other the love we feel compelled to on Valentine's day all throughout the year. Right!? I don't just want to be taken out to eat or surprised with flowers or candy on Valentine's day, and I know Rob doesn't want that either. I want those things out of the blue. Let's be honest, it isn't a surprise when it is Valentine's day...it is kind of expected, and that is why we do it. It is a surprise on February 20th, or March 2nd, or July 18th. I mean, I am guilty of it...what is the title of my post today!? I should write nice things about my husband all the time. (Maybe that will be March's resolution!)
So, let's love like Jesus loves all year long, not just February 14th.

1 comment:

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

Very true! It is so important to celebrate each other all year!