Friday, April 25, 2014

#MALARIABITES

Is it ironic that I will take my last malaria pill today?

Yes, yes it is.

Why you ask?  Good question.  Because today is World Malaria Day! 

Malaria is a nasty illness that I unfortunately have looked in the eyes of.

A child sick with Malaria
 A child sick with malaria
A child sick with malaria.
 
600,000 children in Africa died from malaria in 2010.  600,000!  A child dies from malaria every 60 seconds, most of them are under 5 years old.  The maddening part about this illness is that it is totally treatable, preventable and curable!  For less than $3 a person can be tested and treated for malaria.  So why do so many people die of it, you ask?  Great question again...a few reasons.  1...they don't know what they have.  When we visited a village with Healing Faith, we were able to watch Jason share with a lady what malaria is and what causes it.
Guys...she didn't know.  He had to tell her it wasn't an evil spirit but a mosquito.  They don't have Google.  Sometimes it is as simple as not knowing.  (The best part of talking to this lady was Jason also shared Jesus with her!)
2.They don't have access to health care.  Simple as that...they can't get to a clinic.
3. They don't have the $3 to get the test and the treatment.  Most Ugandan families live on less than $2 a day.  Let me say that again, MOST UGANDAN FAMILIES LIVE ON LESS THAN $2 A DAY!
 
When you/I think about 600,000 children dying from an illness it can seem overwhelming.  So you might be asking yourself, "I want to help, but what can I do?"  Oh my...you all are asking such wonderful questions.  I am so proud.  There is this great organization Healing Faith.  They are in Uganda and are dedicated to educating, testing and treating malaria.  And...sharing the gospel.  Rob and I had the honor of serving with them in October and hanging out with them in March.
 

The work they do is fantastic.  There is one problem...right now in Uganda it is the rainy season.  Which doesn't seem like a huge deal, but when you are trying to get to a village, down a dirt road, in the rain...well, that is pretty difficult.  If it is raining Healing Faith usually has to cancel their village visits, which means more malaria going untreated.  Booo!  We don't want that. 
Healing Faith is starting a campaign today to raise $25,000 in one week to buy a fully-equipped Mobile Malaria Vehicle that will allow the team to reach the villages year round.  You want to help!?  Great!  Go to this website and donate ANY amount.  And I seriously mean any amount!  Any donation amount will get you entered into a contest to win a t-shirt.  A $50 donation gets you a t-shirt.  I am going to head over there now and make my donation and get my free shirt!
 
 
Aren't they great!?  I just love them.  In fact, I love them so much that I am going to do my own contest through the blog!!!  All you have to do is share this post on Facebook, Instagram, and/or twitter (when you share it #worldmalariaday, #malariabites, #mobilemalariavehicle) and like the Healing Faith Facebook page.  Then you will be entered into a drawing to win one of these shirts.  If you do all of those things, that is 4 chances to win.  I will pick the winner next Friday May 2nd.  So you can share this post, on each of those outlets once a day for a week.  If you do that you have a pretty good chance of winning! 
 
Let's spread the word about malaria and help Healing Faith get their Mobile Malaria Vehicle!


No comments: