Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thankful Thursday (And a story you DON'T want to miss!)

Today is the official start to summer for our family.  The kids had their last day of school!  YAY!  I don't know who is more excited, me or them? 
 (You know I will want them to go back in like 2 weeks though, right!?)
But for now we are super excited! 

The morning started like any other last day of school.  We rushed to get ready, made sure we had teacher gifts, took pictures, went and got donuts and then off to school we went.
I walked Broderick in, helped him hunt down all his teachers, gave gifts and then headed to Carys' school.  I walked her in and around the school to find all her teachers.  Everyone was in good moods and excited for summer!  The teachers had all kinds of fun things planned for the last day.  But that was all about to change!
There was one teacher we couldn't find.  The gym teacher.  He is usually hanging outside in the morning, so Carys and I headed outside.  We walked out front and saw him in the parking lot.  We started to walk towards him and as we were about 10 feet from him he said, "Oh my, look at that deer."  (Let me remind you Carys' school is in a neighborhood in the suburbs.  Not a place we normally see deer.)  My first reaction was, "Oh how cool.  Carys, look at the deer."  Then I realized in was running right towards us, so I told Carys to back up.  Then I remembered the front doors to the school were open, and I said, "It is going to run into the building."  As I said that a lady was walking out of the building and saw the deer now running towards her.  She kept yelling, "NO, NO, NO, NO!"  But sure enough the deer ran into the building through the glass!  The secretaries started screaming (I later found out, they thought it was a gun shot.  I would have too had I not seen the deer.  Think about it...a lady yelling NO and then glass shattering.!)  The gym teacher took off running into the building.  The secretary got on the speaker and told the teachers to get the kids in their classrooms and shut their doors.  (Remember that the teachers are trained that if they have to go into this "safety" mode it means their is someone in the building.  So you can imagine their panic!)The deer ran around the lobby all the while bleeding everywhere.  The way Carys school is set up there is a circle all the way around with a closed circle in the middle.  The deer ran around the circle and by some classrooms and then they got it to go into the court yard.  While all this is going on, probably about 5-10 minutes, I am standing outside with Carys thinking, what am I going to do with her.  I can't walk her into the building because a wild, injured deer is running the halls, but I am not taking her home with me because it is the last day of school.  I remembered that their is an entrance by her classroom.  So I walk back there, knock on the teachers window and get her inside.  I assured her teacher that I saw what happened and it was a deer in the building.  I got Carys settled in her room and went out into the hallway.  I found some of the aides and talked to them.  I saw the poor injured deer in the courtyard and the blood splattered everywhere! 
I know the last day of school is supposed to be exciting, but seriously...a deer!
Needless to say, I have a lot to be thankful for!

I am thankful the deer didn't show up one minute earlier or Carys and I
would have been walking in the lobby.
I am thankful the deer didn't show up 5 minutes earlier or there would have been
a bunch of kids walking the hallways.
I am thankful no kids were in the lobby when it came in.  Every morning,
2 kids from each class come down to the offices, located in the lobby,
to get their folders.  So at this time of day there are normally kids in the lobby.
I am thankful that we have great staff at Carys' school that were quick to jump into action.
I am also thankful the kids had great school years and that
summer is here!!!!

 

2 comments:

Centerville Mom said...

What a strange day. I'm thankful you or anyone were not hurt. i tbink it will be on channel 7 news. Jan

MelanieK said...

I am sitting here with my mouth wide open. Honestly, that is the most nutty story, you guys will never forget that! So glad that everyone is okay...I wonder how they ever got the deer out of there?! Phew! Good thing you kept your doughnut down with all that excitment :)