Monday, January 7, 2008

A "typical" day at our house

I recently had a conversation with my friend, Jenny, about other peoples blogs. We (her more than I) check around on other peoples blogs of people we don't know. Which I am sure a lot of you do. Have you ever read a post and thought, "How in the world do these women have insane amounts of children, sew, home school, do the daily tasks of a mother and still write these amazing posts day after day?" Jenny commented people that don't know me may read my blog and think, "I can't believe she made donuts with her kids." So, this post is to set the record straight. I do love doing fun things with my kids, like making donuts and cookies, but these things happen on rare occasions. I mean, I do try to be intentional with them, but if I make cookies or something, the house isn't getting cleaned, or dinner is going to be McDonald's. While I would love to start sewing, I can guarantee it isn't going to happen very soon. (I do have a sewing machine and have asked my mom to help me, but there it sits on the shelf in the garage. I can count on 1 hand how many times I have used it.) When Broderick was born I decided to start scrap booking with my sister. Let me tell you, Broderick is 4 and I haven't even finished the first year of his book yet. (That was a goal of 2007 that never was achieved.)
Okay, all that babble to tell you all what a normal day at my house is like.
7am- On a good day, the kids wake up. Sometimes it is a little bit earlier.
The kids watch a show and eat breakfast in the living room. If I remember to get something together, we do a bible activity. (Something to go along with the stories we have been reading.) Today, after that, we played a little star wars. (Broderick was the jedi master, teaching me, Luke Skywalker, how to be a jedi. Carys was R2D2, even though she has no idea who that is. Then we got dressed and headed to Target at about 10am. When we got home and were coming inside Broderick decided he was going to eat some salt of the garage floor. Great!! Considering the bag sad "Harmful if swallowed." That of course meant I was calling the doctor and repeatedly asking Broderick why he would eat something off the dirty floor in the garage. He is fine none the less. We ate lunch, then Rowan and Lane came over to play for about 1 hour. Then nap time. My sweet relief in the middle of the day! After naps, we played some more, I made dinner, we ate, played a little, took baths, read stories and now...everyone is in bed!! Hallelujah!!!! I am exhausted! And tomorrow it will all start again around 7am. So, maybe some day I will sew and do all these other amazing things some other moms do, but for now I am surviving. Enjoying it all, but surviving it all too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

I am so glad to know that I am not the only one on survival mode some days :).

Jeni