Monday, June 3, 2013

What Can $10 Do?

Our family has been doing a family devotion over the last five weeks.  It is a book and study guide called "Tales of the Not Forgotten" by Beth Guckenberger.  Beth is the co-founder of the organization we are going to Mexico with, so we thought it would be a good study to do as a family to prep for our trip.  It is mostly about orphans and missionaries and how God weaves their stories together.  It refers to God as the Storyweaver.  It has been very eye opening for Rob and I.  I had been wondering if the kids have bee understanding and making connections...until last night.

Our story last night was about orphans in India and how only 3 out of 5 boys get to go to school and 2 out of 5 girls.  We were talking about ways our family could help kids that can't go to school.  Broderick said, "I mean, I have $4, but what can $4 do?"  And Carys said, "I have $6.  I will give it."  Rob and I did not ask them if they had money or if they wanted to give it.  We were just discussing ways we could help.

The "ironic" thing is...we got an email that Ebeneezer Children's home (the orphanage Rob went to in Uganda) needs money to buy school supplies.  It had a broken down list of how much each thing cost.  So we pulled it up and told the kids what their $10 could do.  They said, "We want to give it!"  I could not believe it.  Broderick said, "I was going to buy 4 hot wheels, but I already have a million.  I don't need anymore."  I thought, "Thank you Lord.  They are getting it."

We got to talk about how God is using them in the lives of the kids at Ebeneezer.  He is weaving their stories together. 

No comments: